Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stradivari Label

Antonio Stradivari
Your Question:
Hi Sheila.
Just read your very interesting information on the Stradivarius.  Have you ever seen a REAL lable from a Stradivarius, the ones that are on the net to me are all fake could not find a match after enlarging them.  Thanks Paul.
 
 
 
 My Answer:
Great question Paul.  Yes, I have 
seen several real Stradivari labels.
The photo on the right is a 1698 Stradivari.  I gave a lecture on this 
1698 Stradivari
instrument for a conference of the Suzuki Association of the Americas. 
In addition I've had the opportunity to examine and play several 
Stradivari violins. 
Many of the labels on the net can be fake, however, they were made to 
imitate originals.  Stradivari used several different labels over the course 
of his violin making career, which spanned seven decades.  Stradivari 
lived to the ripe age of 93 - passing in 1737.  93 years was nearly unheard 
of in his era - due to plagues, famines and lack of medical care, most 
were lucky to live to be 50!
Most authentic Stradivari instruments are labeled but some are not. 
The label is the last thing an appraiser looks at because it is easy to insert 
a fake label and it should not be relied upon to guarantee authenticity.
 
If you have a violin with a Stradivari label your best bet is to take it to a 
violin dealer for an opinion. 
Authentic Stradivari Label

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sheila.

    I just stumbled upon your blog while searching for a violin appraiser. I have my grandfather's Stradivarius violin, of which he (my grandfather) came from Italy and was a professional string musician in NYC in the 30's - 50's.

    The label in his Stradivarius reads: Antonius Stradivarius Cremonenfis Faciebat Anno 1737 with the infamous circle with the cross and A.S. in it, however, also just beneath that in handwriting is also the following inscription: Di Anni 93. No other inscriptions or wording anywhere else on the label.

    My question - would a local violin maker be able to tell me if this is a genuine or copy? It's in excellent condition minus one string. I can and would be more than happy to send you photos if you wish to help me discover it's worth above the sentimental value. Thank you ever so much.

    ReplyDelete