Saturday, December 25, 2010

Hans Nebel 1924 Violin

Sheila+%26+Hans+Nebel0001
Your Question:
I am trying to decide whether to sell my violin and give the money to a children's charity or donate it to a school so that children who cannot afford a violin can learn how to play one I have owned this violin since 1966 and it is in a good case, good condition, and the inside label says: Hans Nebel, Violinmaker, Philadelphia 1924. Is this likely a violin that I should donate to a school or sell? Also, is there a range that I should expect? Thank you for any input. Donna

My Answer:
Donna, Thank you for your inquiry. I can tell you that Hans Nebel (Sr.) was born in Mittenwald, Germany in 1892. He worked in Vienna, Stuttgart and for the famed Wurlitzer shop in New York, until he returned to Mittenwald in 1945. His son Hans Nebel (Jr.), whom I have studied violin repair with (shown above), is working in New Jersey. I have done a little research on value and this violin, assuming good condition and authenticity, is in the $5,000-$10,000 range, possibly more depending upon the market.

It would, in deed, be a very generous donation to a school. You might want to explore the possibility of selling the violin. Keep in mind that if you sell it to a dealer or at auction you probably won't get top dollar for it. Another option would be to consign the violin through a reputable violin shop. Many shops will take a 20-25% commission and will charge for any work that is needed to put the violin into sellable condition. If you consign the violin it may take a while for the instrument to sell, but ultimately may net you more money. If you want to sell it quickly then selling directly to a dealer or at auction would be a faster option.

It sounds like a lovely instrument and I wish you the best with your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment