Saturday, February 6, 2010

Q and A: Why does my bow bounce?

Question: Hi, I've played violin for about 15 years. When doing long bow strokes, especially on open E, I get a little bounce in the middle of the stroke/bow. Normally don't notice it in the middle of a passage, especially with vibrato "hiding" it. I try to keep my arm and wrist totally relaxed, but I still get a little bounce that breaks up a smooth phrase. Any advice? Thanks

Answer: This could be caused by your bow.  Every bow does this to some extent, the problem is when you can actually hear it.  When a bow is tightened too much it can become bouncy and hard to control.  Check the stick of the bow to see if it is warping in one direction or another.  If it is warped, have the stick straightened by a qualified luthier.  A good luthier can also adjust the camber on your bow to minimize the bounciness.  If you find that nothing works to control this problem it might be time to look for a different bow.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful article. I learned a lot from it. Thank you for sharing. Keep posting more. Looking forward for more update. God bless.

    Bom
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete