Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Embrace and Extend Suzuki - Simply Violin - The Sing, Play, Learn Songbook

Simply Violin: Sing. Play. Learn. Favorite Songs for Violin in First Position is a new book for beginning violin students. I have been teaching violin and viola for nearly 30 years and am always looking for new ways to inspire and teach my students. It can be difficult to keep today's children interested in learning violin -- especially when they are assigned unfamiliar songs and exercises. Although Suzuki has been considered the Gold Standard almost since Book One for violin first came out in 1978, I have always found the songs to be rather dull. I also think the level of difficulty rises far too quickly. In contrast, Sing. Play. Learn's songs are all intended to be played in first position, and every song can be played with or without using the fourth finger of the left hand.

After using the book for about 6 months, I have had good luck with it. I appreciate that there are 80 songs, more than contained in any other violin book that I can think of. And, yet, the children know most of the tunes and enjoy playing music that they recognize. The parents also are happy to hear recognizable tunes and are more able to help their children to learn them. Plus, the musical editing is very clear, the bowings and articulations well thought out, and there are no page turns within songs.

Another aspect of the book that I like is that it is divided logically into sections that feature fingerings such as first finger low, second finger high, etc., introduced separately. The book also has lyrics for each song. I have found that if a student is having trouble with pitch or rhythm, it can be helpful to sing the song first along with the student, so that he or she can make the connection to the notes and rhythms on the page. Because of its logical division of songs, fingerboard and note reading charts that Suzuki does not have, and arrangement in order of increasing difficulty, I do consider this to be a method book as well as a song book, and, thus, a possible competitor or at least supplement to Suzuki Book One. As an accompaniment book is also available, all of the songs can potentially be used in recitals, another strength.

I have found this to be a very well thought out book and am glad to have it in my teaching studio. However, to name just the few quibbles I do have with the book, I would like to see a page introducing beginning rhythms and possibly also some pictures showing correct bow hold, position for holding the violin, and proper positioning of the feet, as well as other instructional images, as are incorporated in the latest release of Suzuki Book One. However, because the book is unique in the market for beginning violin books, I think it is worth considering despite lacking these items.

I hope this book also comes out for viola, as there are even fewer good song books for viola than for violin.

No comments:

Post a Comment